Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Early Guyatone Madness

I've not posted recently because I caught the flu from hell.  Literally.  I went to a concert in Hell, Michigan, and was sick as a dog the day after!  Anyhow, I thought I'd take the time today to talk about some of the legendary Guyatone guitars from the early 1960's.  Guyatone made some pretty cool house brand guitars during their days of Japanese guitar madness.  Let's take a gander.

The LG50 was made a little before the period I've been researching in the late 1950's, but it was exceptional in popularity.  Guyatone badged some of these beauties with the Antoria badge. Most of the pickguards on these guitars are white, but I've seen a few with mother of pearl which just adds to the lustre.  They tended to have blonde finishes and were played by top guitarists of the time, including Jeff Beck and Ringo Starr.

The LG60B reminds me of a tux with its black and white appearance.  The pickguard is the traditional white but really sets off this cool bass electric.  An early guitar (some were made before 1960) and extremely rare, you've got a prize if you can find one of these vintage axes.

If you've never seen an LG130T, you need to.  These compact  tremolo electrics from the early 1960's are a favorite among players who prefer offset waist guitars.  It also helps that they had beautiful chrome pickguards, although my friend Noah disputes that (he says it's damn ugly). 

The Guyatone EB4 is an extremely early example of the basses they made in that 1960's period.  They were another offset waist guitar and super rare if you can find one.  I've never seen this guitar in person.  Check out this video:


Sweet.

1 comment:

  1. Hey..i recently got a Guyatone guitar from my father and it looks super old. I cant find a picture of it anywhere and that rings a bell to me. I believe it is from Japan and not an imitation. So if you know about these guitars in particular please contace me at pfaust99@gmail.com ty.

    ReplyDelete