Amazon Contextual Product Ads

Friday, April 8, 2011

Marchis guitars

A reader begins his message to me with "I understand you have a great knowledge of guitars..."

Oh gosh.  I wish.

Then he asks me about Marchis guitars.  This is a badge I've never even heard of.  Nor seen.  There doesn't seem to be many of them, from a quick glance at the internet.  I did find a fellow blogger with a page on it.  My reader said he has a Les Paul Gold version of the Marchis and Flat Eric's photos show a Telecaster thinline guitar that just about matches one in a 1974 Greco catalog.  Greco utilized Dyna, Fujigen and Matsumoku in manufacturing their guitars, so it's conceivable that Marchis was a badge made by one of these three manufacturers.  Both Matsumoku and Fujigen are the most productive of the timeframe in which Marchis would have been made, however, Dyna made quality guitars as well (they were used by Fender, which is pretty darn selective).  Is it possible that Marchis is a lost Dyna badge?

And much to my surprise guitarist East Bay Ray (Dead Kennedys) owns a Marchis....which is shown in a January 2006 Guitar World on page 33.  So it can't be that horrible of a guitar.

So does anyone else own one of these lost guitars?  Tell me!

10 comments:

  1. I own a Marchis Jazz bass. I can send a photo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking at one if these tomorrow. Do you have any info on the bass, the construction or the value, the year? Thanks

      Delete
  2. Hi Major,

    That would be great! Please send it along to: torch3366@gmail.com

    Have a great day and thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just had a Marchis acoustic in my workshop - very nice!
    Nick
    www.rocknoise.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just bought an ES-335 copy by Marchis from one junk shop in Rome. The owner of the shop told that this guitar is the last one of a collection of Fenders etc. that one of his friends had. He told that it is fronm 60's .... Now when I tried it at home after changing the strings ... it felt pretty good! At least rare and beautiful hanging on the wall ... Tuomo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a Marchis es-175 copy.
    Plays beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to get some info about it:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got marchis lespaul, please do contact me on adyl.asif@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/calgary/late-1950s-hollowbody-gitar/1235743140?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

    ReplyDelete